Founded by Jim and Mary Thornbury in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1954, Thornbury's Toys was initially a true "mom and pop" shop. After expanding a few times they outgrew the first store located at 117 Breckinridge Lane in St. Matthews and opened a new store nearby at 4101 Shelbyville Rd. in 1960. This store became headquarters. Thornbury's, incorporated in 1965, grew year after year, peaking in the mid 1980's with stores in Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Florida, Ohio and Alabama. The formula for success: customer service, high "play-value" toys and bikes, and a strong management team combined with Uncle Jim's entrepreneurial and promotional flair, love of children, understanding of his customers, attention to detail, and loving family. Uncle Jim's motto was "the customer is always right". The company mascot, Thorny the monkey, who pedaled his bike day and night atop the St. Matthews store, also helped Thornbury's stand out.

Monday, March 2, 2015

Memories Found Online, Part 1: "My Thorny"

Found online here is a blog post written by a woman reminiscing about Thornbury's, including a Thorny stuffed animal, an appearance by Thorny at her birthday party, and more. Some excerpts:

Thorny was given to me before I turned a year old. Today my children play with him. Thorny is a monkey that brings back many memories when I look at him. When I was younger my Uncle ran a Toy Store known as Thornbury's Toys...My mom worked a couple of days a week in the office when I was between the ages of 2 and 9 years old. I can remember going there as a child and walking up and down the aisles of toys. I remember going to work with my mom some days...My sister worked at the store and she had a name badge made up for me. I would walk around with my name badge on and pretend that I worked in the store too. I would straighten up shelves and wait for some customer to ask me for help...I always thought it was so funny when we would drive past the store and the Thorny on his bike would be missing from the sign. People would steal him all of the time...It even got attention in the Courier Journal when he was taken. Usually he would turn up... Sure enough he would go right back up on that sign riding his bike...Today Thorny wears my old size 2T toy store shirt and jeans. His ears are starting to fall of and he is pretty ragged....but he is my Thorny. He is many fond and happy memories, and he reminds me to be thankful for the wonderful family that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment